Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Four Years Ago....

Four years ago...I had a baby.  Not too unlike my other babies.  But, then again, very different.  You see, this baby was born in a hospital, just like my other babies I birthed.  But this hospital was a world renowned Children's Hospital.  This baby had a heart condition.  No left or right in this baby's heart...only a top and a bottom.  When I was pregnant with this baby, I prayed for this baby, not unlike my other babies.  But my prayers were different. I didn't really even pray for the heart condition. That I could handle.  I prayed that God would heal this baby, but not from the heart condition.  I prayed she would be born with 2 21st chromosomes.  You see, I was ignorant.  I knew what 3 21st chromosomes meant. But I only knew what it meant to me, in my very small, and selfish world.  I knew nothing about Down Syndrome.  In my ignorance I assigned it a value that didn't go past the name...special + needs.  Fast forward 4 years.  This is what I now know.
               I know that I am blessed because I was able to relish those little years a little bit longer.



But she will grow up...not unlike my other children



I know there will be good days


As well as bad...not too unlike my other children.

I know sometimes life will be hard.


But most days are filled with wonder and laughter...not too unlike my other children.


She likes pretty things...not unlike my other girls.
And tasty things...not unlike my other children.

And has her own dislikes...not unlike my other children.


I know that my life is more...with her in it.

I know that she really is not unlike my other children.  She is special...as are my other children.  She has needs...as do all my other children.  Down Syndrome isn't really that different.  It definitely isn't something to be afraid of.  Knowledge is power.  Knowledge is important.

I really wouldn't want it any other way.





Happy Birthday Baby Girl!!!  Mommy loves you so very much.  







No comments:

Post a Comment